Sunday, October 08, 2006

Experiencing Public Holiday in China

A week of holidays has passed… Although it is only 3 days of actual PH (public holiday), China has make it in such a way that they joined the 2 sets of Saturdays and Sundays rest day together with the 3 days of PH to make it “looked like” one week… and that also explains why I am working on a Sunday now...

Anyway for this “looked like” one week break… I spent it living with Tongwei’s family in 石家庄… It was really an interesting experience to live with a China Chinese family…It was really different from my expectations initially but eventually I got used to it… Most of the time, I was trying to understand their culture, lifestyle, food and their speaking accent… From there, I saw a great deal of family values and philosophies which reminded me of my family and friends in Singapore… I also realized that the so called “soup” that was served after each filling meal of dishes and buns, which I thought I could finish it, was actually a bowl of noodles… and the unlimited number of mosquito that buzz next to my ear the whole night also reminded me of Army’s outfield…

During my stay there, I almost joined Tongwei to all his gatherings with hometown’s friends… We went for good food, clubbing, KTV, arcades games, pool and many more... It was fun and I got to know lots of people whom I met the first time, and the friendship was further strengthen with alcohol introduced…

Tongwei also had to meet up with his future-in-laws for the first time during this trip… During his future-in-laws meet up, his Dad showed me around and also accompanied me to look at the Flower Festival in the National Park… Other than those, I also saw the new Jacky Chan movie in the cinema… play games at LAN-shops… and do lots of window shopping…

For Tongwei, it was like a Minister going for a political visiting to another country’s President… Outside he discussed it with his friends on what to do and prepare… At home… all family members and relatives will meet up, talk about it and plan for it together… I was there of course… witnessing the process and praying for his smooth meeting with his future-in-laws…

Well, it was exciting of course… but it was even more happening when he returns home with news that the future-in-laws are coming to his house to return their visit to his family 2 days later… This created another day of excitement and topic to discuss on what to do again…

Well, to us in Singapore it may seem like it is a simple normal meeting up… But if the 1st visit involves not only the family meeting up… but plus the uncles, aunts and whoever in the family tree… it may not seem as simple anymore… Well… it was fun… and it also has been a blessing that everything turn out fine… Tongwei was in almost breathless status after those 2 events… Ha... Ha…

Now that I seen this, I wonder what will be like for me if I will to meet my future-in-laws the next time… I don’t think meeting the future-in-laws in Singapore will not be as exciting… Anyway, I need not worry yet as I don’t even have a girlfriend now… so I am still in the protected animal series…Ha… Ha…

It has been a simple and fast week… Although I haven’t really rested enough yet, in a brink of eye and I’m back in office working…

Anyway, today is the 8th of Oct... so… most importantly…


Happy Wedding, Kevin Goh!!!!

No comments: