Friday, September 22, 2006

The Ultimate Subway

I remember the time when I take MRT to Harbour Front Station to work in Sentosa, it was like a bad dream after I wake up everyday. It is always packed and I will often wait for a next train or even go to work late on purpose to avoid the crowd. In my heart, I will wonder "why will so many people take MRT to work for??? Can't they take the bus or something???" Of course, I understand the situation, but it's just normal complains coming from a half waken up grumpy guy going to work...

Since the day I came to Beijing to work, every moment when I take Beijing Subway, it will relate me to the so called packed and crowded MRT. As I compare, Beijing Subway is way different from the Singapore's MRT. Think about it, Beijing is capital of China, country with one third of the population of the world, if throw one stone out the window and you have 90% chances of hitting a University Grad!!! How can Singapore ever compare with Beijing??? Singapore is just a small country which has yet to see the world. The transport system (but today I will only mention about Subway) here in China is what I call "The Ultimate!!!"

Let me explain WHY? It is because, it is almost impossible... I repeat... "IM..POS..SI..BLE.." for Singaporean to squeeze into the MRT the way the Chinese do it in Beijing (most properly including Shanghai, Guangzhuo and other big cities too)... It is like sardine packed... No, it is more like ikan bilis(anchovies) packed in a cabin with attendants helping to push people into the subway so that the subway door can close (just like in Japan)... It is an "ART" to board on to the subway. It requires high level experiences and skills to squeeze in, and high level endurance to remain squeezed inside... It is not joke...

Can you see it... it is really packed...



I certainly prefer the MRT of Singapore. The system in Beijing is really too "Ultimate!" So people back home, if you are taking MRT or buses to work or school everyday... dun complain anymore...

No comments: